- KIA terminal 3 floods after Monday rains
- Limited voters registration to begin June 7 as EC increases locations
- Shatta breached protocol but security could have been proactive – Charterhouse CEO
- Schools warned against poorly lit classrooms that can cause poor vision epidemic
- Stonebwoy to perform at 2017 BET Experience Main Stage
- MTN presents cash prizes to Heroes of Change Season III winners
- China ready to support Ghana’s economic transformation – Chinese VP
- Portions of Asamankese-Akwatia highway bad
- Otumfuo Osei Tutu makes historic visit to Techiman
- Stop illicit financial flows to raise more revenue – Lawyer
Minister wants focus on missing girls not CID boss gaffe
The Information Minister has urged the public to volunteer information to assist the police to find the three missing Takoradi girls, rather than call on the CID boss to step aside.
Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said conversation should focus on how to get more information out.
The girls, Ruth Quayson, Priscilla Blessing Bentum and Priscilla Koranchie are believed to have been kidnapped between August 2018 and January 2019.
The main suspect in the kidnapping, Samuel Udoetuk-Wills is currently before the Takoradi Magistrate Court after he escaped from jail in December 2018 following his first arrest.
“We know where the girls are,” CID boss Maame Tiwa Addo-Danquah told reporters at a news conference last month. While confident of wrapping up the saga, the CID boss urged patience and assured the public “they are safe…very soon they will be brought back home.”
Then, families of the missing girls questioned why the police failed to disclose the information to them before going public.
The Attorney-General, Gloria Akuffo, criticised the action saying it was wrong for the investigating authorities to have disclosed information about the whereabouts of the three missing girls.
That information, which was put in the public domain by the CID boss she said, could put the lives of the girls in danger.
Weeks later, under-pressure Maame Tiwaa beat a retreat saying she was misunderstood when she announced three kidnapped girls had been located.
She told Accra-based Atinka TV, she ‘wanted to give the families hope’ by that announcement.
The Commissioner of Police has been criticised not only by her former boss Bright Oduro but many other people with the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) giving her a 14-day ultimatum to find the girls or step down.
But Mr Oppong Nkrumah is convinced the “best conversation right now” should be the general public sharing information which could lead to finding the girls.
He said the jailed suspect must be working with others and there could be someone with information to share.
“Already, there has been some preliminary information that has been gathered by the security agencies and they inform us [government] that they are working on a high-level collaborative operation with both local and international agencies to deal with the matter,” he added.